Quiet Hair Dryers – 2023 Buyer’s Guide
Let me tell you a little story about my friend Sarah, who is a hairdresser. Sarah had been in the business for years and had seen all sorts of hair trends come and go. But one trend that she had been waiting for was the rise of quiet hair dryers.
To her surprise, the quiet hair dryer worked just as well as her old one, but without the loud noise. She could hear her clients talk and listen to music without having to crank up the volume.
Not only did Sarah love her new hair dryer, but her clients did too. They appreciated the peace and quiet during their appointments and didn’t feel like they were on a noisy runway anymore.
So if you’re a hairdresser like Sarah, or just someone who wants a hair dryer that won’t wake up the whole neighborhood, a quiet hair dryer is definitely worth checking out. This guide will explain why having a silent hair dryer is important, what to look for when buying one, and, most importantly, our best selections to help you navigate through your options.
Types of Hair Dryers
|1. Ionic Hair Dryers||Negatively charged ions are used in ionic hair dryers to swiftly break down positive charge water molecules, reducing drying time. Hair strands dry easily and sleekly because negatively charged ions do not open the hair cuticle. When drying your hair using an ionic hair drier, you may use a lower heat setting, and the definition of your curls is retained.|
|2. Ceramic Hair Dryers||The ceramic layer within ceramic hair dryers is a major benefit, as it helps spread heat evenly. These hair dryers detect the temperature of the room and adjust the heat accordingly, ensuring that the least amount of heat is utilized throughout the drying process, resulting in a faster drying time and much less damage overall. Ceramic hair dryers reduce heat and speed up drying time, but they don’t create as many negative ions as ionic hair dryers.|
Is Ionic or Ceramic Hair Dryer Quieter?
There is no clear winner in terms of which type of hair dryer, ionic or ceramic, is quieter as it ultimately depends on the specific model and brand. Some ionic hair dryers may produce less noise than some ceramic hair dryers, and vice versa.
- According to the review on Byrdie, ceramic hair dryers are generally quieter than ionic hair dryers. The reviewer tested multiple hair dryers and found that the ceramic ones produced less noise overall.
- On the other hand, the article on InStyle states that ionic hair dryers are quieter due to their technology that emits negative ions to break down water molecules faster. This means less time spent blow-drying and less noise overall.
- Beauty expert Jennifer Chiu (Youtube Channel) says on her blog that it really depends on the specific hair dryer and its design, as well as the brand. She recommends reading reviews and doing research to find a quiet hair dryer that meets your needs.
- In the article on TotalBeauty, several hairstylists weigh in on the debate. Some prefer ceramic hair dryers for their ability to distribute heat evenly and prevent damage, while others prefer ionic hair dryers for their faster drying time and ability to reduce frizz.
Overall, it seems that opinions are divided on whether ceramic or ionic hair dryers are quieter. It may come down to personal preference and the specific hair dryer you choose.
Quiet Hair Dryers: Main Features
If you’re in the market for a silent hair dryer, there are several important factors to consider before making a purchase. One of the most important things to consider is the decibel rating of the hair dryer. The decibel rating indicates how loud the hair dryer is when it is in use. Generally speaking, the lower the decibel rating, the quieter the hair dryer will be.
Another important aspects to consider before purchasing one are listed below.
|1. Noise Level||A quiet dryer is defined as having a decibel level of about 60 dB. The quietest hair dryers, on the other hand, are rated between 65 and 80 decibels, and the higher the DB rating, the better. VAV 1875 professional hair drier and Paramount X: Q onyx silent dryer are two dryers that are below 70 decibels, with 64db and 63db decibel levels, respectively.|
|2. Total Wattage||The majority of noise-free hair dryers use 1400-1600 watts. Many popular quiet hair dryers, on the other hand, use 1875 watts.|
|3. Technology Employed||When it comes to dryers, it’s vital to keep in mind that different manufacturers use different technologies. In this situation, several goods rely on ceramic, tourmaline, and ionic technologies. These three distinct technologies are meant to make your hair shine while also protecting it from overheating. Some hair dryers employ a combination of these technologies, while others focus on a single technique.|
|4. Speed and Temperature Settings||Many of the hair dryers on this list offer 2 or 3 heat settings as well as two speed levels. Adjustments like this give you more choices when it comes to hairstyles. However, I’m sure you’re aware that it’s best to dry damaged or thin hair at lower temps.|
|5. Cool Shot Button||A cool shot option is available on most silent hair dryers, just as it is on normal hair dryers. It aids in the cooling of your hair and the completion of the look. Some models need you to keep pressing the button until it stops operating; otherwise, it will cease working. In certain cases, there is no such issue.|
|6. Controls||They’re usually found on the handle of a blow dryer, exactly where you grip it. As a result, it’s possible that you’ll swap controls unintentionally when using the tool. It may take some time to adjust to such a situation.|
|7. Configuration||Dual airflow is used in certain silent hair dryers, which improves airflow and, as a consequence, the outcome. Because there is a set gap between the fan and the body, this design can help to decrease noise.|
|8. Attachments||Look for a hair drier with both a concentrator and a diffuser that is quiet. Straight hair benefits from a concentrator nozzle, whereas curly hair benefits from a diffuser nozzle.|
|9. Power Cord||Safety should be a top priority while blow-drying your hair, for both you and others around you. Hair dryers with high-quality cords, particularly copper core cables with soft rubber insulation, should be purchased. Also, to avoid any accidents, make sure the cable cord is long enough.|
Are hair dryers bad for your hearing?
In general, intensity of 85 decibels is not perfect for human’s hearing, however, when used for just brief periods, it shouldn’t cause any permanent or temporal damage to hearing and ears. With that being said, if it takes longer periods of time to dry your hair, I’d suggest looking for a quieter hair dryer model.
With that being said, if you’d still feel uncomfortable even with a quieter model, you can measure the outgoing noise with an app, and if it goes over the mentioned minimum level of noise, report it to the manufacturer (you can also write to me, so I can contact the manufacturer and possibly remove that particular model from my list). I would also suggest visiting a doctor to make sure your hearing is not being damaged. This is actually a rarity, but better be safe than sorry.
Best Quiet Hair Dryers: FAQ
Is Dyson hair dryer quieter?
While Dyson has claimed that the Supersonic hair dryer is quieter than the competition (keep in mind that “supersonic” means “greater than the speed of sound”), both our Lab tests and consumer tests found that the hair dryer is about as noisy as other hair dryers.
What makes a hair dryer noisy?
Conventional hair dryers usually have a bulky fan in the back, just behind the heating wires. Because the motor’s fan is much larger than the dryer’s nozzle, when the fast airflow passes through the narrow vent, the airflow will make a high-pitched sound just like deflating a balloon.
What decibel is a hair dryer?
A conventional hair dryer emits up to 80 decibels, but it is possible to find hair dryers approaching 60 decibels, particularly in online stores with expertise in hair tools.
How do you reduce hair dryer noise?
Unfortunately, you don’t have many options here. One thing to do is to attach a diffuser to your hair dryer, which limits the outgoing noise a bit, however, diffusers are mainly used by women with curly hair (to avoid frizzy hair), so it might not be the best idea to use it all the time.
Best Quiet Hair Dryers: Comparison Table & Main Features
1. Sam Villa Professional Ionic Dryer – Best Compact
- Our incredible lightweight design of less than 1 lb reduces fatigue
- Patented Evolution Turbo-Compressor Technology delivers intense power with quiet airflow...
Easy to Use
Video: Sam Villa Limited Edition Professional Ionic Blow Dryer – Features & Uses
2. Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer – Best Quick Drying
- Helps prevent extreme heat damage to protect natural shine; Air temperature is measured 20...
- Ultra fast drying; For fast drying you need controlled, high velocity airflow. Rated power...
Rubber Mount Attachment
Three Airflow Settings
Video: How to blow dry your hair with a Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer
3. GAMMA+ 3500 Tourmaline Ionic Hair Dryer – Best in Heat Power
- SUPERCHARGED AC MOTOR for maximum air pressure and performance
- TOURMALINE IONIZATION TECHNOLOGY helps natural air revitalization for motor brilliant hair
Superb Heat Power
Italian Design and Technology
Video: Gamma+ Aria Dual Ionic Dryer tutorial
4. BIO IONIC 10X Ultralight Speed Dryer – Best in Nourishing Technology
Quiet Dual Hair Flow
Video: Bio Ionic 10X UltraLight Speed Dryer
5. NuMe Stealth Hair Dryer – Best in Heat Distribution
- Brushless motor for over 5000 hours of lightweight and ultra-efficient use.
- 3 temperature and 2 speed settings offers the most versatile blowouts for any hair type without...
Pure Ceramic Grill
Easy to Use
Video: NuMe Blowout Boutique to Add Volume to Your Hair
6. Revlon Lightweight Quiet Hair Dryer – Best Ceramic Coating
- IONIC TECHNOLOGY: Gives you the power to create a salon-styled finish. Less frizz, for shiny,...
- CERAMIC COATING: Helps reduce damage over-styling with even heat distribution making styling...
Three-Layer Ceramic Coating
Video: Revlon QuietPro Product Review
7. JINRY Hair Dryer 1875W – Best Infrared Technology
- 【Quick Dry Lightweight】1875W Professional hair dryer, hairdryers quick dry lightweight hair...
- 【Enhances Shine】Ceramic Tourmaline ionic technology design reduces frizz and enhances shine